Wilson Dam Local Section

Our history

The Wilson Dam Section of the ACS was established in 1937.  The first meeting was held at Sheffield High School on May 5, 1937 with Dr. George W Carver as the speaker.  The public was invited and a large crowd filled the auditorium.

The Section was created from the Muscle Shoals Chemist Club composed mainly of Tennessee Valley Authority employees.  The Club was formed in ca. 1935 and was quite active.

About the American Chemical Society

The American Chemical Society (ACS) is the world’s largest scientific society and one of the world’s leading sources of authoritative scientific information. A nonprofit organization, chartered by Congress, ACS is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemical enterprise and the premier professional home for chemists, chemical engineers and related professions around the globe.